Tropical Succulent soil blend
Designed for tropical succulents and other thick-leafed plants when in an appropriate hot, sunny window. Please use Desert Succulent or our ‘Fluff It!’ soil additive if you put a snake plant in low light. Environment match: succulent plants that are NOT from the desert.
- Sansevierias (a.k.a. Dracaena trifasciata: Moonshine, Black Gold, Laurentii, Zeylanica, as well as bird’s nest, starfish, and cylindrical varieties)
- Ric Rac cactus
- Pilea pepperomioides and other pileas (or use our Strings of Things for finer texture)
- Kalanchoe (or use our Strings of Things for finer texture)
- Pepperomia varieties (or use our Strings of Things for finer texture)
- Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter cacti (Zygocactus, Schlumbergera)
- Yucca elephantipes
- …and any other tropical succulent plants.
Available sizes: Generous quart (typically ~6 cups, plenty to fill a 6" pot), 2-gallon (enough to fill a 10" pot or six 6" pots), or 10-gallon bulk, or our 1-gallon or 10-gallon bulk DrySoils.
Oh Happy Dirt is our line of hand-blended potting mixes that are created to suit different plants’ needs. Not all soils are created equal!
Here’s how we measure up:
- We practice sustainability: our blends start with coco coir and coco chips, a renewable resource. We do not use non-renewable peat moss.
- Due to concerns about fluoride, we don't use perlite.
- We use compostable bags and labels for our retail products.
- We know that whole ingredients are better for all of us – plants included! We use real ingredients like alfalfa meal, flax seed meal, and rock dust to ensure balance for your plants.
- We do not use nitrogen fertilizers produced with the ecologically detrimental Haber-Bosch process.
- We know the importance of the gut microbiome - even in plants! All of our soils include a mycorrhizal inoculant with endo and ecto-mycorrhizae.
- We also include charcoal and humates to encourage a healthy root environment.
Above all, we take the work out of re-potting plants. By choosing Oh Happy Dirt you are giving your plants the highest-quality substrate on the market, without the guesswork of creating a recipe that’s responsive to each species’ needs.
I am a snake plant fan and this soil is the best I've come across. I've purchased other soils sold as "snake plant" specific formulas and while the base ingredients are same or similar the added "tasties" make this a soil above all others. You pay for quality, and that is exactly what you get with Oh Happy Dirt!
I'm a big fan of this soil (and the other varieties I ordered). Shipping was fast and I appreciate the dry soil option for reducing shipping price. The soil is varied and chunky, good drainage, great texture, cool additions, funky mycorrhizae. I've had trouble figuring out what to do with tropical succulents in particular and it's nice to know I'm using the right blend. I ordered the desert succulent blend too and the difference is very obvious. Yeah very happy with this!
Every plant I've switch over to Oh Happy Dirt has been absolutely thriving! I have some species that I was told were 'slow growing', but in this soil I am seeing new growth almost weekly. It's insane to put your plants in anything else!