Strings of Things soil blend
Perfect for all of your ‘strings-of’ succulents, this blend holds a balanced amount of water and air, perfect for these plants. This is also a great choice for desert succulents if you see them ‘firing’ leaves (lower leaves dying off – an indicator of under-watering).
Environment match: somewhat dry-climate plants that like a regular – but small – amount of water.
- Senecio varieties (Senecio rowleyanus/string of pearls, S. peregrinus/string of dolphins, Curio radicans/string of bananas, etc)
- Pepperomia varieties (P. prostrata/string of turtles, P. tetraphylla ‘Hope’/Pepperomia Hope, etc)
- Pilea pepperomioides and other pileas (or use our Tropical Succulent)
- Kalanchoe (or use our Tropical Succulent)
- Upright pepperomia varieties (or use our Tropical Succulent)
- Ceropegia varieties (C. woodii/string of hearts, C. sandersonii/parachute plant, etc)
Oh Happy Dirt is our line of hand-blended potting mixes that are created to suit different plants’ needs. Not all soils are created equal!
Here’s how we measure up:
- We practice sustainability: our blends start with coco coir and coco chips, a renewable resource. We do not use non-renewable peat moss.
- Due to concerns about fluoride, we don't use perlite.
- We use compostable bags and labels for our retail products.
- We know that whole ingredients are better for all of us – plants included! We use real ingredients like alfalfa meal, flax seed meal, and rock dust to ensure balance for your plants.
- We do not use nitrogen fertilizers produced with the ecologically detrimental Haber-Bosch process.
- We know the importance of the gut microbiome - even in plants! All of our soils include a mycorrhizal inoculant with endo and ecto-mycorrhizae.
- We also include charcoal and humates to encourage a healthy root environment.
Above all, we take the work out of re-potting plants. By choosing Oh Happy Dirt you are giving your plants the highest-quality substrate on the market, without the guesswork of creating a recipe that’s responsive to each species’ needs.
Love, love, love! Plants are super happy 😊
I've never had much success propagating the smaller plants. But on a whim I picked up the String of Things soil at my local shop and decided to try again with some String of Pearls and String of Hearts. I was absolutely guessing on everything, from how much soil to use, to how much water and light it needed.
I'm happy to report that after 3 weeks using this soil I have had HUGE success!!! Almost every one of my props is putting out new growth, even after being forgotten about more than a few times. Will definitely be buying more soil for my other props and plants!