Grassland soil blend
This blend is for your grassland and subtropical forest plants. It’s designed to mimic the rich, loamy, rocky soils of the African grassland, complete with volcanic ash and our rich Grassland blend. This soil is much heavier than our other soils to support tall, thick, heavy plant stalks, but is still very porous.
Environment match: plants that are ‘hard to figure out’ because their root systems include rhizomes.
- Dracaena deremensis, fragrans, and massangeana varieties (Lisa, Janet Craig, Mass cane/corn plant, Rikki, marginata, dorado, Lemon Lime, Hawaiian Sunshine, Malaika, Warneckii, Limelight, reflexa, Florida Beauty, etc)
- Zamiaculcas zamiifolia (ZZ plant)
- Aspidistra elatior and other cast iron plants
- …and any other native grassland/forest plants.
Oh Happy Dirt is our line of hand-blended potting mixes that are created to suit different plants’ needs. Not all soils are created equal!
Here’s how we measure up:
- We practice sustainability: our blends start with coco coir and coco chips, a renewable resource. We do not use non-renewable peat moss.
- Due to concerns about fluoride, we don't use perlite.
- We use compostable bags and labels for our retail products.
- We know that whole ingredients are better for all of us – plants included! We use real ingredients like alfalfa meal, flax seed meal, and rock dust to ensure balance for your plants.
- We do not use nitrogen fertilizers produced with the ecologically detrimental Haber-Bosch process.
- We know the importance of the gut microbiome - even in plants! All of our soils include a mycorrhizal inoculant with endo and ecto-mycorrhizae.
- We also include charcoal and humates to encourage a healthy root environment.
Above all, we take the work out of re-potting plants. By choosing Oh Happy Dirt you are giving your plants the highest-quality substrate on the market, without the guesswork of creating a recipe that’s responsive to each species’ needs.
I decided to try the Grassland Blend for my tornado dracaena and the quality of soil compared to the big box store stuff I used before is incredible! It is such a wonderful blend, and the smell is the definition of 'earthy'. I went from not thinking there was anything special about dirt, to being a huge Oh Happy Plants product advocate almost over night. I tell everyone who will listen that this soil is an absolute game changer. I'm so excited to see the difference in my plants after switching them all over in the coming months.